Wednesday, July 26, 2006

overwhelmed (again) by decisions

yes, its true. As of last week we actually still had made no firm plans about our reception, catering, etc. The Knot keeps flashing 166 days left! 165 days left! 164 days left! prompting me further and further into the agony of indecision.

We have (we think) actually now made a plan about the locale for our Wedding At Cana themed reception: The Burke Firehall in, well, Burke! We're borrowing from our friends Jamie and Catherine on this one but we never had illusions of being original. So Burke it is. And we made Save the Dates so that's good.

I've reached the end of caring about anything else. Cheese plate or fruit? Salmon or trout? Accoutrements to accompany a chocolate fountain? Band playlist? First dance song, last dance song, father-daughter dance, monkeys performing at the wedding, wedding flowers, colors, fire-breathers, napkins, Cirque de Solei, china.... For crying out loud! We're about at the point where free reign will be given to the illustrious Robbin Bixler, mother of mine and most patient wedding muse.

So I hear the drums of apathy pounding in the distance, with every moment closing in on this wedding. At this point we just want to get married, get everybody feed and drinked, dance to a few tunes and call it a day. who's with me? anyone? anyone....?

It doesn't help that this has been such a busy time. I am now spending two days a week (my technical "weekend" from l'arche) at University of Portland and hanging with the folks the other five. Jacob is now a daylaborer/househusband. I am enjoying him as my helpmeet/driver/lunchmaker/ironer-of-work-clothes more than I ever would have imagined. We are indeed thinking the househusband thing may be an excellent career for him and are pursuing the possibility accordingly.

Nothing to despair about. Just a full time. We are blessed by the way the doors are opening and by feeling called ever deeper into life together. The new job is great, the transition out of l'Arche smooth. I continue to cultivate relationships with the folks in the house and to enjoy the community of our church. And did I mention that my mom is a rockstar? Wait. What was I complaining about....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you're doing the Burke Fire Hall! Do you have a photographer yet? Lisa Boggs, Truro's parish secretary (or whatever her new title is) did ours with her cousin and they turned out great for a relatively good price (well, for a wedding photographer anyway). Arg. Just reading this entry reminded me of all the decisions. I'm glad your mom is doing a lot of it for you. Let me know if you need any help. I'd be happy to do whatever!