Monday, July 10, 2006

The Times They Are A Changin'

Over the weekend Jacob and I were up in Boston for the wedding of my good friend Carla. It was a great reunion with friends from Gordon, their spouses and offspring.

While we were there I got a call from the University of Portland offering me a job. Two weeks ago I was on-campus interviewing for the position of Assistant Director of the Office of Volunteer Services. UP is a Holy Cross school and as such their volunteerism is grounded in the tradition of Catholic Social Teaching, not the run-of-the-mill secular humanism or resume building of a lot of mainstream universities. I am really excited about what they are doing (and by how much they are going to pay me).

It's a bittersweet transition but one we feel called to pursue. I will still be involved with l'Arche on the Financial Planning Committee and as an extended community member. In addition, UP's Volunteer Office has supported the community for over a decade, providing summer interns and work crews who come to the house once a month. They even host an on-campus worship service called REEX (Religious Experience for Exceptional People) which I will in-part oversee next year!

To make things more exciting, Jacob is finishing up at the farm early and he will be looking for a new job too! So, on our Thing to Do list we have find a new job, move into a new apartment, plan a wedding and buy a car. My goodness....

We are, however, incredibly thankful for the ways the Lord has opened and closed doors in the past few months. We've been praying hard for wisdom and guidance, that we can be faithful even in these slim times. We feel like there are some amazing things in store for us.

PS
I just have to share. On a completely unrelated note, yesterday at the airport I saw Long Duk Dong. Who the heck is that?, you might be wondering. That was the name of the character from the 80's movie, Sixteen Candles. He was the crazy foreign exchange student. I was convinced it was him but a little thrown off by the fact that he was sitting in my waiting area getting ready to take the jumpflight from Seattle to PDX. I mean, why is Long Duk Dong going from Sea-Tac to Portland anyway?

Well, I came back from getting some food and he was gone! I looked across the way and saw him boarding with First Class on a flight to Los Angeles. Confirmation. I think so.

No comments: