Friday, February 23, 2007

saints, bridges and beer




Today was the feast day of Polycarp, a first century dude who was burned at the stake at age 86 for refusing to bend the knee to the king of Turkey. I like Polycarp and I like him even more now that I am taking Augustine. You may not have seen much “book blog” movement from us lately. Fear not. We are still reading, Jake the Narnia Chronicles and me tons of the bishop of Hippo.

One of the things that sticks out most from Peter Brown’s biography of Augustine is his assessment of how the saint got so darned introspective. Brown explains that in the first three centuries Christian histories focused exclusively on the last years of a saint’s life because Christians were getting martyred all over the place. It wasn’t until the fourth century, when Constantine and the Church picked up the sword that Christians plunged headfirst into their interior castle.

In other words, early on Christians’ lives were something the state feared and repressed. The witness of Christ created fear in those in authority. After Constantine the only real devil was inside. I think it’s a remarkable insight, the psychological change that came with embracing the power of this world.

Other news: I gave a natural family planning talk last night along with my (ironically) very pregnant Catholic friend from campus ministry. There are now quite a few UP students who know much more about my reproductive cycle than I ever thought they would. The hilarious note: I was the “medical ethicist” on the panel. Secondary note: get a degree in religion; you can pass as anything at all.

J has also started some temp work which has been good. We’re also trying to ride the bus more often which has led to some very funny transit experiences. Today I managed to go over the Steel Bridge a total of four times in my commute. Not sure how that happened.

After work it was meeting downtown for pints at Kell’s, $3 curry chips and yes, another trip back over the Steel Bridge. Just another week in paradise!

No comments: